John B. Kendrick to H. A. Loucks, 1919
Trail End overlooking Sheridan, circa 1912 (Gwinn Collection, SCHS)
WHEN HE DECIDED to move from his Montana ranch and build a house in town, it was natural that the town chosen by John B. Kendrick would be Sheridan. From its founding in 1882, Sheridan dedicated itself to commerce and enterprise – two things in which Kendrick was deeply interested. But Sheridan was more than just a center of trade; it was a collection of people interested in living as a community. When asked in 1926 why she lived in Sheridan, Mrs. D. W. Gwinn noted:
It is not because more money can be made here, for Sheridan is not a purely commercial city; it is not because of its wildness, or because it is a theatrical city or a manufacturing city, but because it offers in its location and environs the greatest satisfaction. … That we do love “our Sheridan” is such a foregone conclusion that we do not need to prove it!
The people who lived and loved in Sheridan came from all walks of life: teachers and clergymen, farmers and ranchers, bankers and lawyers, maids and waiters, tradesfolk and artisans, soldiers and physicians. Most relied on social, economic and educational interaction with their neighbors – the ties that bind a community together – to make their lives more complete.
Trail End’s whole-house exhibit, The Ties That Bind: Exploring the Relationship between Sheridan and Trail End, celebrates the community connections of friendship, service, consumption and production, and how they sometimes intertwined at Trail End – Wyoming’s premier historic house museum.
John B. Kendrick (AHC Kendrick Collection, TESHS)
A Whole-House Exhibit at the Trail End State Historic Site
March 2014 - December 2015
State Historic Site